Sunday, August 9, 2015

Work ready for bisque



This first post is a record of recent work done in my home studio. 

I had access to both gas and electric kilns while I was a college ceramics teacher (since 1975) and over the years explored low, mid-range and high fire glazes, including raku, maiolica and salt-firing. At that time my focus with mid-range electric firings was making glazes that look similar to work fired in a cone 10 reduction kiln.

Recently I've decided to narrow my exploration to mid-range electric firings, exploring subtle glazes that will highlight my hand-built and wheel-made forms. I prefer to glossy glazes for the interior of functional pots, and mattes for their tactile quality on the exterior.  
 
Here are examples of some mugs, etc. ready for bisque firing. 
They will be glaze-fired to cone 7 in a computer-controlled electric kiln. 







No comments:

Post a Comment