Monday, August 24, 2015


Another Kiln Load
 
Now that I have some new glazes, I'm ready to make lots more work and try out different color combinations. The textured handles add a tactile quality to the smooth mugs that enhances the experience of drinking a cup of tea or coffee. When I "pull" handles, I usually make one at a time and attach it right away to the cup, but when I hand-build handles I usually roll out a slab, texture it and then cut out all the handle shapes at once so that they look consistent. The picture shows some handles waiting on a damp cloth, and 2 already attached. The wonderful textured roller was made by my potter friend Angela Rogers. When they are completely dry, I begin stacking the kiln for the bisque-firing.



This week I also made some "curvy bowls" by throwing a rounded bowl and then cutting the curves and also holes for handles. Below is a bowl with pencil line guide for cutting. The 2nd picture is after the bowl is cut and edges are smoothed.


No comments:

Post a Comment